We like webinars...
...especially for associations and even more so for associations that are trying to build their database and create a community among their members and beyond. Associations have always conducted events and much of the non-dues revenue generated by associations has been associated with events that spawn sponsorships, exhibit sales, registrations, etc. In more recent years, as the costs of food and beverage have escalated and onerous hotel contracts have proliferated, it is very difficult for small associations to conduct in-person events and not lose money. There are real limits to what attendees can pay in registration fees. In-person events for attendees are expensive in terms of travel, time away from the business or office and ever-increasing event registration fees. Some small associations have been priced out of the market for in-person events.
Webinars and online seminars are one solution to combat these escalating costs and to address the travel/time out of office obstacle to staging in-person events. By 2016 almost all associations have experimented with webinars.
We like webinars for a variety of reasons:
- Webinars and online seminars are more democratic in the sense that they can dig deeper into organizations and not just appeal to the executives who might be actively engaged with the association but with those individuals who can benefit from the webinar content and have a resulting good feeling about the association and thus are a future member. Executives are almost always the first within companies who are privileged to attend in-person events such as trade shows.
- Webinars are a way of building the database of potential members and with reaching out to other communities that might have an interest in the products or services provided by the association. In other words, webinars can attract new people for the association database. Webinars build the database at low cost to the association. Big databases provide opportunities for associations to generate additional revenue.
- Webinars can generate revenue through webinar sponsorships. We have more information about sponsored webinars on the Vault page.
- Webinars are inexpensive to produce/conduct and inexpensive to consume on the part of the end user or attendee.
- Webinars can generate instantaneous feedback, almost as fast as an in-person event.
- Webinars do not require massive amounts of planning, dealing with hotels or meeting facilities, AV setups, etc.
- Archived webinars provide 24-hour access to the webinar content.
- Webinars can be used to market and promote other in-person events. For example, if the association has a trade show, exhibiting companies can provide webinar content through the association to attract more attendees for the in-person event.
Again, we like webinars. If you are an association looking for ways to develop an active webinar or online seminar program, contact us.
Before we tell you more about sponsored webinars, the best vehicles for generating revenue and simultaneously building a database, here’s a link to a sponsored webinar that we conducted for one of our association clients in September 2016. You might wish to listen/watch it. You will need to register for it, but there is no registration fee; it’s free. The topic is Emergency Services Internet Protocol Networks (ESInets). Click on the link below to access the webinar content.
In this Vault section we are sharing our trade secrets about what we call “sponsored webinars.” You might find these secrets of interest.